Lawrence Steel was an early pioneer of Fort Worth. He owned one of the first hotels/restaurants in Fort Worth located on what is now the east side of the Fort Worth Criminal Court building. It was the stop for the first stage coach coming through Fort Worth, the Jacksboro-Fort worth Stage Coach Line. Mr. Steel was generous in the giving of land and money to help build Fort Worth. “Mason” the Masonic bell was brought here to Fort Worth by Mr. Steel in 1855 to hang in the hotel. “Mason” was in integral part of the history of the 1850’s Fort Worth. Both Mr. Steel and “Mason” welcomed pioneers to Fort Worth and the West of the 1850’s.