George “Press” Farmer

Farmer

Farmer and his family were among the first settlers in 1849 in what was then known as the Peter’s Colony. He and wife Jane built a log cabin on the bluff overlooking the river. The cabin was burned and they were camping on the bluff when Major Ripley Arnold arrived to establish what would become Fort Worth.  Press became the forts first sutler, or merchant. He continued to participate in the growth of Fort Worth in 1840-60’s.