F.G. Oxsheer was a rancher and businessman as well as community peace officer in the Central Texas town of Calvert. He moved to West Texas where he helped establish the Jumbo Cattle Company and also established ranches on the Llano Estacado.
He was one of the early settlers on the Texas High Plains and among the first to introduce windmills. By the 1890's he owned 30,000 cattle and controlled a ranching empire of 1.25 million acres. By the late 1890's Oxsheer and his partner, C.C. Slaughter amassed on the Oxsheer Ranches the largest herd of registered Hereford cattle in the United States.